College celebrates 71% match rate, nearly 70% of matches stay in Washington state

Olivia Hiskey posing in front of the of the Mann-Grandstaff Veterans Affairs Medical Center sign in Spokane, Washington where she will be starting her residency in ambulatory care.

The WSU College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences is pleased to announce that 71% of participating registrants matched with a residency program this year. Nearly 70% of those matched will be staying in Washington state, with the remaining students matched to programs in other states including Oregon, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Nevada.

“The college helped prepare me for the residency match process in many ways, but what stands out to me the most is the mentorship I have received throughout my time at [the college]. It is through these mentor relationships that I have been able to identify my career goals and the variety of paths I can take to achieve them,” said Olivia Hiskey who matched with the Mann-Grandstaff VA Medical Center in Spokane, Washington.

Matching with a residency program is a significant milestone for pharmacy students, as it signifies that they have been chosen to receive advanced training in a specific area of pharmacy practice. This training can be critical to their success as practicing pharmacists, as it allows them to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to provide the highest quality of care to their patients.

Spencer Knudson (right) will be starting his residency in ambulatory care at Tacoma General Hospital.

“I hope through residency I get the opportunity to precept pharmacy students and pay forward the particularly helpful advice, skills, and support my preceptors and faculty shared with me during my journey as a student pharmacist,” said Spencer Knudson who matched with Multicare Tacoma General Hospital specializing in ambulatory care.

Residency programs also provide pharmacists with the opportunity to work with experienced pharmacy practitioners, gain exposure to different practice settings, and develop skills in patient care, research, and pharmacy management. This advanced training can be particularly valuable for pharmacists who are interested in pursuing leadership positions in their field or specializing in a particular area of practice.