WSU student to serve regionally for national pharmacy group

Majid Nazir running for regional delegate

SPOKANE, Wash.—Student pharmacist M. Majid Nazir was elected as one of eight regional delegates, nationally, for the American Pharmacists Association Academy of Student Pharmacists (APhA-ASP). The elections were held at the APhA-ASP midyear regional meeting in Boise, Idaho, earlier this fall.

“I am looking forward to directly working on resolutions that will help advance the profession of pharmacy and make life-long connections with this position,” Nazir said.

Over the next year he will be working with APhA-ASP chapters in Region 7, which includes pharmacy programs in Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Montana, and Nevada. He will be promoting advocacy and political awareness by regularly providing updates to the chapters in his region.

“I hope to inspire future student pharmacists to get involved and help advocate for the profession of pharmacy. I can’t wait to see what the next year brings. Go Cougs!” Nazir said.

Another part of his duties include serving on the APhA-ASP Resolutions Committee. In this role, regional delegates review all proposed resolutions for the APhA-ASP and rank them based on which issues are the greatest concern to their student pharmacist constituents. The reviews are then published in the APhA’s Student Pharmacist Magazine. Nazir will moderate the resolutions discussion during the mid-year regional meeting in 2019.

“I will be representing all of the different students from our region and pushing for issues that we believe will help advance the profession of pharmacy. I hope to advocate for issues not only personal to me, but also to the students I will be representing,” Nazir said.

The Washington State University (WSU) College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (CPPS) has a reputation of developing outstanding health care professionals and leaders in pharmacy. This is an example of how the college supports opportunities for students to participate in leadership and advocacy activities, and gain experience and recognition at the state and national levels.

Nazir is in the class of 2021 of the Doctor of Pharmacy program at WSU in Spokane. He is from Federal Way, Washington, and completed his undergraduate coursework at the University of Washington. He was drawn to Spokane for the opportunities provided on campus to current students, and for the family environment created by the current students, faculty, staff, and alumni.

In addition to being active in APhA-ASP, Nazir is also serving as a 2018-19 Associated Students of WSU Spokane senator and serves as a CPPS student ambassador. After graduation, he is interested in working as a pharmacist in a long-term care facility, with a focus on geriatrics.

“I find it extremely rewarding spending time with the elderly and learning from their experiences in life, while providing them the necessary medical care they deserve,” Nazir said. “I could see myself working in the VA or IHS system. Both of these organizations allow pharmacists to work closely with other providers and provide treatment to patients.”