Lindsey Schaffer To Represent Students on WSU Board of Regents

photo of lindsey schafferPULLMAN, Wash. – Lindsey Schaffer, a Richland native and former student body president at Washington State University Spokane, is the newest member of the WSU Board of Regents. Washington Gov. Jay Inslee last week finalized the appointment, which lasts through June 30, 2014.

“I’m just thrilled,” said Schaffer, who in May finished a yearlong term as ASWSU president at Spokane. “What I enjoyed most about serving as president was having an excuse to talk to people about what they’re excited about. The opportunity to talk to students and advocate for those students was something I really enjoyed. The position of student regent is just a natural progression of those responsibilities.”

Schaffer succeeds Raphael Pruneda in the student regent position. WSU President Elson S. Floyd praised both student leaders.

“The tradition of excellence in student representation on the Board of Regents continues,” he said. “Regent Pruneda has done a fine job sharing the students’ perspective on a wide range of issues, and I look forward to working with a proven leader like Regent Schaffer.”

Schaffer currently is completing undergraduate in coursework for a degree in basic medical sciences and Spanish in WSU’s Honor College. She simultaneously is pursuing a Doctor of Pharmacy degree at the WSU College of Pharmacy; she will graduate in May 2014.

“My goal as a student regent is to bring a varied and multi-faceted perspective to the board,” she said. “I have experienced WSU on almost every level there is – undergraduate, grad student on the Pullman campus, and grad student on the Spokane campus – and I have listened to all different kinds of students. At the end of the year, if I’ve represented all of those different opinions well, I will consider my time on the board a success.

“I’ve had such a good experience and received such a quality education at WSU, that I want to make sure that keeps happening for the students who come after me,” she added. “That’s why I pursued being a student regent.”