Student Travel Grants

Taking part in conferences, legislative trips, and competitions give you the opportunity to learn and grow while developing connections which will serve you for years to come. To maximize your professional development opportunities, the college offers student travel grants.

Student Travel Grant Policy

To be considered for a CPPS Dean’s student travel grant, supporting registration and/or travel, the event must be in-person and students must be engaged in one of the following activities:

  • Competing at the conference
  • Representing the college as a delegate to the conference
  • Presenting at the conference
  • Receiving an award or scholarship at the conference

Students may be funded once each academic year for up to $500 toward transportation and registration fee for in-person conferences not otherwise covered through other means. The award will be adjusted upon receipt of other travel awards from other organizations. The CPPS expects that costs submitted are reasonable and prudent, planned ahead to purchase by early-bird deadlines, and actually incurred by the submitter. In no case will more than $500 be applied to transportation to/from the conference or more than $250 be applied to registration fee.


Completed applications must be received by the close of business 14 days prior to travel.


The Dean’s Office will review the applications according to the guidelines above. The approval is acknowledging approval of your qualifications for reimbursement. It is not promising you an amount that will be reimbursed.

The award will be adjusted upon receipt of other travel awards from other organizations. The college attempts to make sure expenses for registration and travel to the conference (airfare, bus, fuel/gas) are covered. Please understand that all your expenses will not be covered.

Additional Notes

  • The college is not currently awarding travel grants for virtual events.
  • These awards are subject to the availability of funds and will not be an automatic award.
  • A clear description of why this investment in professional development is valuable to the student and the college will be necessary.
  • Additional awards may be possible for extraordinary opportunities. The application process is the same but must clearly describe the extraordinary opportunity.
  • All awards are paid after the travel has occurred, there are no advance payments.

Travel Reimbursement Policies

CPPS travel grants, PPSO officer travel support, ASWSU-HS travel grants

Call Lori Henderson at 509-368-6674 if you are unsure about any of these instructions. Do not depend on what you or a friend did last year or what someone else tells you. Ask before you travel. It is up to you to submit your expenses correctly according to our current policies.


Requests for reimbursement, along with original receipts, must be submitted within 60 days after the end of travel.

Submit receipts and your completed Travel Reimbursement Form to Lori Henderson or to Sarah Kohler in PBS 130, Spokane. If you are out of the area you may mail or e-mail them to: WSU College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Attention: Lori Henderson, PBS 130, 412 East Spokane Falls Blvd., Spokane, WA 99202-213 – . If you are in Yakima, you may submit your paperwork to Kim Wakeman who will send to Lori.


  • You must submit original paid receipts or receipts that have been e-mailed as original.
  • Receipts must show your name, amount paid and show either a zero balance owed or the payment description (e.g. VISA 1234).
  • You will need paid receipts for airline, lodging, registration and transportation.
  • Copies of bank statements, canceled checks or credit card statements are not allowed. You must have the paid receipts.


Airfare should be booked at the least expensive economy ticket and carrier and planned well enough ahead of time to maximize the best deals. Tickets purchased at rate significantly higher than the average for others attending the same conference will be reimbursed at the lower average rate. Seat upgrades are not reimbursable.


You may use Orbitz, Travelocity, or Expedia, but you MUST obtain a paid receipt. The receipt should show your name with detailed payment amounts broken out for lodging, airfare and transportation and a zero amount owed. You will NOT be reimbursed unless you have the properly detailed receipt.


WSU recommends use of commercial lodging facilities but facilities such as AirBnB are allowed. Please remember it is always necessary to obtain a paid receipt clearly identifying lodging costs per night and the dates for the stay if lodging reimbursement has been approved by PPSO or ASWSU-HS.


Meals receipts are not required. If approved for meal reimbursement, you will be paid a per diem amount for each meal.

Please note: meals are rarely approved for Student Travel Awards.