Being a Cougar student pharmacist means you have the opportunity to learn and develop in the WSU community with both your peers and alumni.
Fred Meyer Alumni-Student Mentor Program
Our alumni-student mentor program, supported by Fred Meyer, creates networking and educational opportunities to help WSU student pharmacists develop into outstanding health care professionals. This program pairs a participating Doctor of Pharmacy student with a pharmacy professional who is an alumnus of the WSU College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (CPPS). Volunteer preceptors for the CPPS can also serve as mentors.
- Academic support and career guidance while building a professional network
- Perspective from someone who has had similar experiences and succeeded in WSU pharmacy school
- Guidance in developing a career plan and exploring options
- Exposure and access to different viewpoints, resources, and people within the pharmacy profession
- Additional help with identifying skills that you should develop while in school
- Active engagement with CPPS and the PharmD program as an alumni
- Ability to give back in a meaningful way aside from physical or financial support
- Contribute knowledge and time as a Cougar student pharmacist to mentor, support, and guide current PharmD students
- Build strong connections within the Cougar pharmily and help student pharmacists transform to professionals
Participation in the program requires a few hours each month during the PY2 year after matching. Mentor and mentee pairings are free to determine their own schedules for communication and meeting. After that, mentors and mentees are encouraged to connect at least twice each semester. The more regular communication there is between a mentor and mentee, the more productive and successful the partnership. Once a mentor is assigned, they will remain with that student throughout the student’s academic career, with the hope that a lifelong partnership is formed.
Before volunteering/opting-in for the program, all potential alumni mentors and student mentees are asked to consider the commitment they are making to their fellow Cougar. Once you have been paired with an alumni mentor or a student mentee, you are obligated to be proactive and committed to establishing an honest, communicative, and productive partnership.
Student pharmacists will:
- Make initial contact and reach out to their mentor first
- Be respectful of their mentor’s time
- Maintain a professional demeanor when interacting with their mentor
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns
- Be motivated and dedicated to providing meaningful mentorship and guidance
- Aim to respond to mentee(s) within 72 hours
- Contact email@example.com with any questions, concerns, or contact information/volunteer commitment updates
Together, the student pharmacist and mentor will:
- Collaboratively decide expectations of partnership
- Determine the frequency of conversation and preferred contact method(s)
- Strive to connect for at least a couple hours each month throughout the first two semesters of the program
- Discuss what you are both hoping to gain from the partnership
- Learn about the Fred Meyer Alumni-Student Mentor Program and determine if you want to participate
- If you are an alumni and are interested in becoming a mentor, please fill out the mentor interest form (coming soon!)
- If you are a currently mentor and need to update your contact information or your volunteer commitment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alumni and student pharmacists will be informed of their mentor/mentee pairings in early fall semester
- Student pharmacists – it is your responsibility to contact your mentor first! Please contact your mentor within two weeks of receiving the pairing email.
- Throughout the remainder of the year mentors and mentees will receive monthly emails with tips in maintaining your partnership and suggestions for discussion items
- Connect with your mentor/mentee at least twice a semester
- Nominations of Mentor of the Year open every Fall
Am I required to participate?
- Student pharmacists can opt into the Fred Meyer Alumni-Student Mentor Program and are not required to participate.
What if I don’t receive a response from my mentor?
- Please give your mentor adequate time to respond, as they have additional commitments outside of volunteering their time as a mentor. If a week has passed, respectfully reach out to them again to touch base. If a response still has not been received after two weeks of the second contact attempt, please contact email@example.com.
What if I want to reach out to my mentor during the summer or breaks?
- We would encourage you to talk with your mentor about expectations and boundaries of maintaining connection when courses are not in sessions.
I didn’t opt in for the program during my PY2 year but am now interested – who can I talk to?
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I have to be in Spokane or Yakima to participate?
- No! We recognize that many of our alumni are located outside of Central and Eastern Washington and are encouraged to volunteer.
What if I don’t hear from my mentee?
- If a month has passed after receiving the mentor/mentee pairing email and you have not heard from your mentee, please email email@example.com.
Can I have more than one mentee?
- Yes! Please be mindful of the time you are able to commit to volunteering.
Do I get a new mentee every year?
- That is an option – you may also stick with one mentee throughout their time in the program and receive a new student pharmacist mentee once they graduate.
What if I need to update my contact information or my volunteer commitment/preferences?
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.