- Bachelor of Science, Washington State University (2003)
- Doctor of Pharmacy, Washington State University (2005)
- Specialty Geriatrics Residency, Washington State University (2006-2007)
- Clinical Research Fellowship, Washington State University (2007-2008)
I was born and raised in Spokane, Washington and am a graduate of the WSU College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. Shortly after graduating from pharmacy school I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and have since focused my clinical and research activities on the treatment of diabetes and its complications.
I serve as the instructor of record (IOR) for Pharmacotherapy II and the Advanced Diabetes Management elective. I frequently speak at national diabetes meetings on topics related to diabetes management and have held several leadership roles with organizations such as the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the Rho Chi National Honors Society. Several days per month I also work as a clinical pharmacist at Providence VNA Home Health.
In my spare time I like to…
Outside of work, I enjoy spending time with my family, golfing, and fishing.
As a graduate of the WSU College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences I was drawn to working at WSU so that I could engage in a variety of professional activities including teaching, clinical work, professional service and research.
My Favorite Quote
“Laughter is the best medicine – unless you’re diabetic, then insulin comes pretty high on the list.”
– Jasper Carrott
- 2009 Washington State Pharmacy Association (WSPA) Pharmacist Mutual Distinguished Young Pharmacist of the Year – For outstanding contributions in the area of community service.
- 2014-2015 WSU College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences Teacher of the Year third-year class)
- 2016 Pharmacy Leadership & Education Institute (PLEI) Albert B. Prescott Pharmacy Leadership Award- For young pharmacists that have demonstrated exemplary leadership qualities indicative of someone likely to emerge as a major leader in pharmacy over the course of his or her career.
- 2016-2017 WSU College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences Teacher of the Year (third-year class)
- 2018 North Central High School Distinguished Alumnus of the Year
- 2020 Washington Association of Diabetes Educators (WADE) Diabetes Educator of the Year – For contributions made to the field of diabetes Education in an outstanding and unique manner and a demonstrated interest and involvement in WADE activities.
- 2021 Association of Diabetes Care & Education Specialists (ADCES) Diabetes Care and Education Specialist of the Year – For diabetes care and education specialists who have made a special contribution to the field through dedication, innovation and sensitivity in patient care.
Neumiller JJ, Chen G, Newsome C, Hughes S, Lazarus P, White JR jr. Assessment of regular and NPH insulin concentration via two methods of quantification: the Washington State Insulin Concentration Study (WICS). J Diabetes Sci Technol 2019 Oct 22 [Epub ahead of print].
Das SR, Everett BM, Birtcher KK, Brown JM, Januzzi JL Jr, Kalyani RR, Kosiborid M, Magwire M, Morris PB, Neumiller JJ, Sperling LS. 2020 Expert Consensus Decision Pathway on Novel Therapies for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes: A Report of the American College of Cardiology Solution Set Oversight Committee. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020;76(9):1117-1145.
Neumiller JJ, Kalyani RR, Herman WH, Grant RW, Wysham CH, Inzucchi SE, Hirsch IB, Fonseca VA, Buse JB, Barrett EJ. Evidence supports prediabetes treatment. Science 2019 364(6438):341-342.
Munshi M, Neumiller JJ. Liberalisation, deintensification, and simplification in diabetes management: words matter. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 8(2):95-97.
Tuttle KR, Alicic RZ, Duru OK, Jones CR, Daratha KB, Nicholas SB, McPherson SM, Neumiller JJ, Bell DS, Mangione CM, Norris KC. Clinical characteristics of and risk factors for chronic kidney disease among adults and children: an analysis of the CURE-CKD registry. JAMA Netw Open 2019;2(12):e1918169.