- Doctor of Pharmacy, Washington State University
Fellowships & Additional Training
- Residency in Geriatrics, Providence Visiting Nurse Association Home Health
- Board Certified Geriatric Pharmacist (BCGP)
- Granger Cobb Institute for Senior Living Faculty Fellow
- Washington State Pharmacist License
- Idaho State Pharmacist License
Clinical Practice Site
Dr. Clark has a practice site at the Providence VNA Home Health in Spokane Valley. The clinical rotation site has two unique services, a referral service where home healthcare clinicians can make referrals to the pharmacy team to review the medication regimen and resolve medication related problems and a high-risk service where the team reviews the medication regimens for patients at risk of hospitalization following their start of care with home health. The referral service was established in approximately 1994. The high-risk service was established by Drs. Clark & Gates. Dr. Clark in conjunction with the pharmacy resident precepts advanced pharmacy practice students as they run the high-risk service while rotating through the site in 6-week blocks.
- Instructor of record for Pharmacotherapy I, which covers self-care, and over the counter medicine.
- Participating instructor for Pharmacotherapy II, Pharmacotherapy V, and Therapeutics of Special Populations.
- Special interests include teaching Osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s Disease, and Parkinson’s Disease.
Research & Quality Improvement
- Dr. Clark’s research interest and quality improvement endeavors include the effectiveness of pharmacists’ interventions in home healthcare, medication reconciliation & evaluation, medication management, & 30-day hospitalizations.
- Dr. Clark is a member of the geriatrics research team.
- American Society of Consultant Pharmacists
- Washington State Pharmacists Association
Lenz M, Clark JA, Gates BJ. Medication regimen complexity in patients receiving consultant pharmacy services in home health car. Sr Care Pharm 2020;34:81-84.
Clark JA, Shen D, Shelden MR, Anderson KD, Koller NJ, Gates BJ. Analysis of a long-standing consultant pharmacy service in home healthcare. Sr Care Pharm 2019;34:370-383.
Mahan KR, Clark JA, Anderson KD, Koller NJ, Gates BJ. Development of a tool to identify problems related to medication adherence in a home healthcare setting. Home Healthc Now 2017;35(5):277-282.
Clark JA, Gates BJ, McKeirnan K, Sclar DA. Assessed Value of Consultant Pharmacist Services in a Home Health Care Agency. Consult Pharm 2016;31(3):161-167.
Gates BJ, Clark JA, Huang S. 10 special challenges in elderly patients with diabetes. Practical Diabetology 2014;33(4):10-17.
Setter SM, Neumiller JJ, Dobbins EK, Wood L, Clark J, DuVall CAK, Santiago A. “Treatment of Chorea Associated with Huntington’s Disease: Focus on Tetrabenazine” The Consultant Pharmacist 2009;24(7):524-537. 2009
- Presented one of the top 3 posters out of 80 submissions at the American Society of Consultant Pharmacist’s Annual Meeting in 2020.Clark JA, Mckeirnan K, Lam LC, et al. A pharmacist led quality improvement team to improve medication reconciliation and evaluation in home healthcare.
- Spokane Teacher of the Year for PY4 Students in 2019
- Poster contest winner at the NW Pharmacy Convention in 2016Clark JA, Bhardwaj DR, Koller NJ, Gates BJ. Impact of pharmacy medication review on hospitalization for CHF patients receiving home healthcare.
- After completing the residency in geriatrics & consulting with WSU in 2010, Dr. Clark began work for PharMerica Corp. as a consultant pharmacist for about 10 of the region’s nursing homes.